May 26, 2021 - A recording of the presentation is available. Please feel free to contact one of the panelists to obtain a copy or if you need additional information.
The federal government continues to focus intensely on national security issues involving foreign funding of research in the US higher education sector. This panel will bring together experts in national security, export controls and trade sanctions, and responding to government inquiries, who will discuss effective strategies for managing risks associated with international research collaborations and evolving government expectations.
Topics will include:
• The Biden Administration’s approach to “undesirable” foreign influence in university research
• Practical steps universities can take to effectively manage international research collaborations
• Monitoring techniques to meet ongoing federal expectations and avoid federal agency review
• Pending federal legislation mandating enhanced reporting and review requirements for universities with foreign gifts and contracts
• Managing relationships with the federal government and responding effectively to government inquiries
Patrick F. Linehan, Partner, Steptoe
Robert Roach, Senior Advisor, Guidepost Solutions + Former VP, Chief Global Compliance Officer, New York University
Julie Myers Wood, CEO, Guidepost Solutions + Former Assistant Secretary, Export Enforcement, US Department of Commerce
Ryan P. Poscablo, Partner, Steptoe